is currently backordered. You may still purchase it now but we won't be able to ship it until it becomes available again.
For pricing and availability for the Eddie Research Robot Platform please contact our sales team on firstname.lastname@example.org, or call on 0845 528 0404 and we will be happy to help.
Eddie is a turnkey hardware solution to create a mobile robot with your own laptop and Kinect sensor — a perfect platform to foster creativity, innovation, and experimentation.
Once fully assembled, simply connect your own laptop and Kinect (not included) over USB and Eddie is up roaming the house in minutes. Compatible with Microsoft Robotics Developer Studio 4 (RDS 4), Eddie can navigate autonomously and see in 3D using the power of the Microsoft Kinect.
Five distance sensors (three infrared and two ultrasonic) detect objects to help avoid collisions, providing sight where the Kinect cannot see. Eddie is well-equipped to navigate and interact with dynamic environments, using sensor fusion to integrate the Kinect sensor's 3D vision, color imaging, and sound processing with the platform’s wheel encoders. Eddie is also fully expandable and hackable, making it easy to add sensors, accessories, and custom add-ons.
The heart of the Eddie Control Board is the Propeller P8X32A microcontroller. The Propeller chip’s eight 32-bit cores provide incredible power and flexibility. The board includes high-current motor drivers, an eight-channel 10-bit ADC, and access to lots of digital I/O. Multiple regulated power supplies (12 V, 5 V, and 3.3 V) and three switchable auxiliary power ports support optional accessories (like under-body LED lighting).
Eddie is powered with long-lasting dual 12 V, 14.4 Ah gel-cell batteries. A 3A smart battery charger is included. Fully charged batteries provide a typical run-time of around 4–7 hours so you can keep innovating without interruption.
- Compatible with Microsoft Robotics Developer Studio 4 (RDS4)
- Dual-platform design with plenty of room for electronics and on-the-go programming laptop access
- Two drive wheels with high-torque 12 VDC motors and position controllers
- Front and rear dual-tire caster wheels for platform stability
- Durable pneumatic rubber tires easily traverse hard floors and carpet
- Five distance sensors (three infrared and two ultrasonic) for collision avoidance
- Fully integrated control board handles all lower-level hardware operations to drive motors and collect sensor data
- Simple USB connectivity between control board and your laptop
- 12 V, 14.4Ah gel-cell batteries for 4–7 hours of continuous operation
- (1) Motor Mount and Wheel Kit with Position Controller
- (2) Caster Wheel Kits
- (2) 18 inch diameter milled HDPE platform discs
- (4) 5 inch machined aluminum standoffs
- (2) 12 inch machined aluminum standoffs
- (1) Modified Kinect adapter cable
- (2) 12V, 7.2Ah gel-cell batteries
- (3) Sharp GP2Y0A21 distance sensors with mounting stands
- (2) Ping))) Ultrasonic distance sensors with mounting stands
- (1) Eddie Control Board (integrated control electronics)
- (1) Lead-acid 3A smart battery charger
- All required nuts, bolts, and assembly hardware
- Adhesive-backed snap tape (to conveniently secure the laptop)
- Kinect cam-hook mounting plate and hardware
Needed - Not Included:
- Laptop computer running Windows 7
- Kinect motion-sensing camera
- #1 Philips (cross-head) screwdriver
- 5/32” Allen wrench
- Eddie Robot Assembly Instructions v1.2
- Eddie Control Board Schematic
- Eddie Control Board Documentation v.1.2
- Eddie Command Set
- Parallax Service RDS4 Install Guide-v1.1
- Eddie Firmware (zip)
- Parallax Service for RDS4 (zip)